In the aesthetics of the face, the appearance of the profile plays one of the most important roles. The profile consists of three elements: the lips, the nose and the chin. The morphology of the chin has both emotional and psychosocial consequences. Its contour and shape determine the harmony of the face. The chin is both a central point of the face but also a point of reflection of light.
From the depth to the surface, it consists of :
– The skin.
Different chin morphotypes
– Progeny refers to a malformation characterized by an advanced position of the chin.
– Retrogénie refers to a malformation characterized by a remote position of the chin.
– Laterogenesis refers to a malformation characterized by a lateral position of the chin.
There are several forms of chin abnormalities (non-exhaustive list):
– The chin in galoche.
– The double chin.
– The triple chin is characterized by the presence of beads of flesh under the chin.
Static analysis of the chin
The profile plays one of the most important roles in the overall ‘beauty’ of the face.
The profile is composed of three elements : the lips, the nose and the chin.
The criteria of an ideal chin :
– The chin’s projection, given by the chin-neck angle, should be between 85-90°.
– The chin should sit 3mm behind a vertical line passing through the mid-point of nasal height and the most forward projecting point of the upper lip.
– The combination of nose-lips-chin must be balanced: if a line is traced from the tip of the nose to the most forward projecting part of the chin’s flesh, the lower lip is 2mm behind this line, and the upper lip 4mm behind this line.
– In terms of the lower face, the distance from the nose to the lip join (where the lips press together) must correspond to a third of the distance from underneath the nose to the chin.
Dynamic chin analysis
Dynamic analysis is important for defining treatment.
– Highlight the defects of support by asking the patient to tilt the head and reproduce the mimic ‘give a kiss’.
– To demonstrate a hypercontraction which will amplify the aging of the chin by making a protrusion of the lower lip and contract the platysmal cords.
Aesthetic treatment of the chin at the Paris medical aesthetics clinic
Injections of hyaluronic acid are more and more frequently replacing the use of surgical prostheses.
The types of ‘unsightly’ problems that one can correct :
– An ill-defined, or receding chin can be corrected using hyaluronic acid. I use Restylane Perlane, a thick, volumising formula which will not move from the zone into which it is injected. In order to significantly correct the chin’s projection, a deep injection down to the bone is necessary, whilst lighter corrections involve injecting the product under the skin.
– Orange peel skin, due to the contraction of the mentalis muscle, can be corrected by using botox to block the muscle.
– The chin dimple and the fold under the chin, are corrected by injecting hyaluronic acid under the skin, or by using botox.
– A chin lacking in virility (i.e. a rather feminine chin) can be made more masculine by using hyaluronic acid, and thus we can get the sexy, square chin of Brad Pitt.
Hyaluronic acid will stay in place for about a year, while the effects of botox last six months.
We can achieve a better balance for one of profiloplasty’s fundamental elements, the chin.
Hyaluronic acid into the chin : before and after photos
For more images go to : www.dr-romano-esthetique.com/en/results-before-after/chin/
This page is purely informative, in accordance with the guidelines of the Ordre of Doctors. It is not a publicity for treatments .